January Blog


Community service hours: 4hrs

I can't believe this is officially our last semester of the program. It has been very challenging but, at the same time so rewarding. I will always be grateful to our pharmacology staff who have done an amazing job instructing us on all these hard concepts we probably never heard of.  My heart is very much joyful in knowing I can apply my knowledge out in the real world! This makes me feel like a little girl who has gotten a lollipop for the first time. So far, we have completed two modules my favorite has been the endocrine module which focused on diabetes and thyroid. I have always heard of diabetes but, never knew the consequence of the illness, nor any require medication or their mechanisms. Until last year when my dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. That's when I became aware of the treatments/ medications needed for every individual case. Making myself realize of how dangerous diabetes can actually be if not treated properly. By having this module, it was very eye opening having a closer look to plenty of different ways in which diabetes can be controlled. And I certainly began to connect all the dots and fill in gaps in my head. For this month, my community services consisted of tutoring two six year old twins. I assisted them with a variety of assignments. Consisting of simple addition and subtraction and introducing to basic word problems involving mathematics. As well as identifying patterns and sequences, such as identifying certain shape (circle, square, rectangles & triangles).Lastly, assisted on telling time using analog clocks and recognizing coins and their values. By the way homework at this age is very engaging. Fun fact, I never had so much synchronize talking in my life! They were hilarious.


Comments

Popular Posts